The Difference Between On-Site & Off-Site Shredding
On-Site vs. Off-Site Paper Shredding
Every business relies on paper documents as a source of information, record-keeping, communication and payroll. Safeguarding client and customer data is a priority, but how can you ensure the integrity of your documents once they’re no longer needed? Professional document destruction shredding is the most secure method of disposal available. Paper shredding provides peace of mind and alleviates any liability associated with legal compliance.
While shredding is the clear choice for unwanted documentation, you should consider whether on-site vs. off-site paper shredding is best for your business.
Understanding On-Site Shredding
On-site shredding is performed curbside on your property using specialized mobile shredding trucks. Mobile shredders are custom-designed vehicles with a built-in industrial shredder that come directly to your place of business and shred materials on the spot.
Your organization can monitor how the highly trained team destroys sensitive materials from a secure video feed. Once service is complete, you receive a Certificate of Destruction, and the destroyed particles are securely recycled.
Benefits of On-Site Shredding
TrueShred provides on-site shredding that is safe, secure and compliant with federal regulations.
Several laws and industry-specific regulations, such as HIPAA, FACTA, GLAB, and GSA, require specific protocols to be in place with regard to document and data destruction. The Certificate of Destruction is physical, auditable proof that procedures and policies were followed, with on-site shredding allowing immediate receipt. Additional on-site paper shredding benefits include:
- Enhanced security: Risks associated with confidential information falling into the wrong hands are eliminated with an unbroken chain of custody. You can also monitor shredding process via a closed-circuit monitor.
- Optimized destruction results: Shredded documents are unrecoverable, as tiny pieces are further mixed with other shredded paper, making reconstruction impossible.
- Increased security: TrueShred provides your company with locked bins or consoles to keep your information secure until your scheduled service. These containers have a small slot for depositing documents and can only be opened by authorized, certified and trained personnel.
- Streamlined handling: A highly trained, bonded professional brings secure containers to the mobile shredder. The documents into the bins are automatically transported to the inside of the mobile shredding trucks, where the contents are then shredded — at no time does a TrueShred employee handle the contents.
- Maximized efficiency: Our mobile shredders can handle up to 6,000 pounds of paper per hour and destroy mixed media such as videotapes and digital storage devices.
- Reduced environmental impact: Shredded material is 100% recycled, helping further green initiatives and reducing your carbon footprint.
Understanding Off-Site Shredding
The off-site shredding process involves a service provider picking up securely locked boxes or bins containing confidential data and documents from your organization and safely transporting the materials to an authorized destruction facility. TrueShred’s off-site shredding process follows a secure chain of custody of your documents to ensure your sensitive data doesn’t end up in the wrong hands.
Like on-site shredding, you’ll be issued a Certificate of Destruction once the destruction is complete.
Benefits of Off-Site Shredding
There are overlaps and similarities when considering on- vs. off-site paper shredding benefits. TrueShred ensures that both shredding types are secure with strict compliance and monitoring.
Off-site shredding may appeal more to businesses with less need to witness shredding on-site and in real-time. Here are a few other benefits to consider:
- Convenient service: Off-site shredding services are convenient. No need to lift a finger as the secured document bins or boxes are taken away for you.
- Efficient storage: Routine shredding reduces off-site storage expenses and clears up valuable space in-house.
- Sustainable practice: Like on-site shredding, off-site shredding is an environmentally friendly practice.
- Ongoing shredding: Off-site shredding is a good option for businesses that need recurring verified destruction of sensitive documents and prefer service not to be curbside.
- Compliant destruction: Our off-site shredding process complies with laws and regulations to help your organization avoid fines and litigation. Plus, our Certificate of Destruction provides tangible proof.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Shredding Services
When selecting a professional shredding service, it is vital that you choose a company with a track record of delivering quality destruction services to a wide variety of industries and organizations. Factors you should consider include:
- Capability: You need an organization that can handle high volumes of shredding on-site and off-site. TrueShred can shred thousands of pounds of paper in under an hour, saving time and speeding up efficiency.
- Security: You need a highly trained partner to handle sensitive and confidential documents. The professional TrueShred team securely destroys your documents.
- Budget: You need transparent and upfront pricing. TrueShred delivers clear pricing with no surcharges or surprise fees. We provide services that are reasonably priced and cost-effective.
- Compliance: Your organization needs a partner that complies with the regulatory agents in your industry. TrueShred holds National Association for Information Destruction (NAID) AAA certification and issues Certificates of Destruction for your Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) or Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA) records.
- Service frequency: You may need a one-time service to declutter your organization or a recurring shredding service. TrueShred delivers one-time, ongoing, on-site and off-site shredding services. Your organization can even drop off your documents at our destruction facility in Manassas, Virginia.
Streamline Your Shredding With On-Site or Off-Site Service
Whether you prefer on-site or off-site shredding, you can trust TrueShred to deliver reliable and secure service. TrueShred is an award-winning, NAID AAA Certified company. We have served thousands of organizations and individuals in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
We deliver competitively priced services and always show up on the appointed service day.
”I have worked with several document destruction companies over the past ten years and until contracting with TrueShred, I hadn’t met a company with which I felt so compelled to share with professional colleagues. TrueShred’s personnel are always polite, considerate, timely and attentive. . . I trust all of my future shredding needs to TrueShred!”READ MORE