Why shred your documents and paperwork that are unneeded, out of date, or no longer relevant? Why not just throw them out? Everyone knows that we should protect ourselves from cyber identity theft, but it’s easy to forget that the threat of “paper” identity theft is still very real. Don’t take chances — shred!
On-site shredding is the primary way to safeguard personal information. Once you’ve gathered all of your documents designated for destruction, call TrueShred at 888-546-8633 or contact us online. We have multiple service options to securely shred any paperwork that contains personal or sensitive information, no matter the volume.
4 Reasons To Schedule Document Destruction in the DC Area
Stealing Trash Is Legal in DC
So said the United States Supreme Court in 1988, ruling: “Once an item is left for trash pick-up, there is no expectation of privacy or continued ownership.” According to the FBI, discarded paper is one of the principal sources of information for identity thieves. Secure destruction of sensitive material helps you and your company avoid risks like:
- Loss of trade secrets
- Embarrassing publicity
- Litigation, fines, and penalties
- Identity theft
As far as personal documents are concerned, to be as safe as possible, we recommend that you destroy any paper that contains even a minimum of personal information. Identity thieves are clever and can gain a great deal of usable information from documents like:
- Medical/dental records
- Discarded mail
- Used airline tickets
It’s also best practice to destroy media that is no longer useful, such as:
- Hard drives
- Computer backups
- Cassette tapes
- ID badges
Document Destruction Is the Law in Virginia
You also have a legal obligation to ensure the privacy of your clients and employees by responsibly destroying discarded confidential information.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), enacted in 1995, requires that healthcare industry professionals responsibly destroy discarded patient information and medical charts.
- The Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA) was enacted in 2003 to reduce the risk of identity theft by requiring responsible destruction of discarded consumer information.
- The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), enacted in 1999, requires banking and financial institutions to protect the confidentiality of consumer and client data.
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) of 2002 states that certain paper and electronic records must be kept for five years. This act also requires that public companies disclose and evaluate their internal controls. This means that an internal document retention and destruction policy is crucial to compliance.
TrueShred has earned AAA Certification from the National Association for Information Destruction. Our certification demands strict compliance, with standards for:
- Employee screening and hiring
- Operational and facility security
- The destruction process
- Insurance requirements
To achieve and maintain certification, TrueShred must pass annual audits and even random ongoing audits.
Shredding Is Good for the Environment
When you partner with TrueShred, you also fulfill an environmental responsibility. We recycle tons of shredded paper every day, saving millions of trees every year.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, each recycled ton of paper fiber saves:
- 17 trees
- 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space
- 360 gallons of water
- 100 gallons of gasoline
- 60 pounds of pollutants
- 10,400 kilowatts of electricity
Every little bit helps! We are proud to be a DC-area shredding company that contributes to our region’s environmental health and sustainability.
Shred to Keep Your Personal Information Safe
Keep your personal information secure. Make shredding a part of your business and personal routine. If you have any questions about confidential shredding and document destruction in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia areas, please give TrueShred a call at 888-322-3218.
Protect Your Business in DC, VA, or MD With Secure Document Shredding
TrueShred provides multiple options for secure and discrete disposal of your private documents. TrueShred offers the following:
- One-time Shredding Service – If you don’t have regular shredding needs but have a large number of private documents and records that need to be destroyed, our technicians will come directly to your office or storage facility to perform convenient and secure on-site shredding.
- Recurring Shredding Service – With a recurring, ongoing shredding service, your office in the greater Washington, DC, metro area is supplied with secure lockable consoles or bins that safeguard your documents in between your scheduled on-site shredding service visits.
- Confidential Document Destruction Process – As a NAID AAA Certified mobile shredding company, TrueShred is interested in safeguarding your document security. Your confidential documents are ensured a secure, unbroken chain of custody from the moment they are inserted into one of our secure containers to the moment they are shredded on premises.
- Asset Protection – As a Washington, DC-based company, you understand the importance of discretion. Regularly scheduled shredding service is one of the most valuable investments your company can make. Lockable consoles and/or bins are strategically placed throughout your office facility for the insertion of confidential material. On a regularly scheduled basis, our licensed, bonded, and uniformed service personnel will arrive on-site and securely shred the contents of your containers. All shredding is done curbside on premises in one of our state-of-the-art shredding trucks.
Secure Document Shredding for Companies Throughout VA, MD & DC
TrueShred is the leading on-site shredding company serving Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC. Whether you require regularly scheduled shredding service or one-time shredding, TrueShred can perform your document destruction needs securely and efficiently. Contact us for a free estimate today.
Call TrueShred at 888-322-3218 with any questions regarding identity theft prevention with our on-site shredding services.
”I have worked with several document destruction companies over the past ten years and until contracting with TrueShred, I hadn’t met a company with which I felt so compelled to share with professional colleagues. TrueShred’s personnel are always polite, considerate, timely and attentive. . . I trust all of my future shredding needs to TrueShred!”READ MORE